This year, I have been organizing gatherings for a group of MK girls. MK stands for Missionary Kid. This precious group of girls range in age from 12- 18, most of whom are connected to our ministry at the Loft. When it became apparent this year that we were not going to be able to offer small groups in the native language (English) of many of these girls (based on age ranges, number of leaders available to lead groups, and Albanian ministry begin our primary focus), I began to meet with these girls once a month for fellowship and heart checks.
We started with 6, then the next month there were 10, the next month there were 15. There was obviously a lot of need in this group to fellowship with one another outside of their ministry connections. It has been hard to go very deep with the group simply based on the age ranges and the sheer numbers, but I do think that it has meet some emotional and fellowship needs that they have had.
Tonight we met for the last time and I marveled at the changes we are going to experience in the group over the next year. Summer time is a big time of transition on the missionary field. It is a time when people come and go for all kinds of reasons. Here’s a list that may give you a little insight into the transitions these girls are up against these next few months.
- 2 girls are leaving for the US permanently. Their families for different reasons are leaving the field. One of them has never lived in the US.
- 1 girl is going off to college after living here for the last 4 years.
- 1 girl is returning to Finland for HS having lived here and attended English speaking school for 4 years
- 2 girls (sisters) are going to the States for 1 year furlough with their family. Their family does this once every four years. They are home-schooled here and will be in the States as well.
- 2 girls are going to the US for 6-8 month furloughs with their families. One will be returning in February, for the other the plan of return is unknown.
- 4 girls are leaving between the months of April and July and staying for varying lengths of time in the US. All are returning in the fall.
- 3 are staying the summer in Albania.
Whew… can you imagine the turmoil of change in the room. Would you pray with me for these girls and the places God is sending them all over the world? Would you pray for their parents as they lead them to draw closer to Jesus? Would you pray for their hearts as they say goodbye, temporarily or permanently (though only for this life!) to friends they may have had for a lifetime? It has been a great joy for me to share a little piece of their lives and I know God has great plans in store for each of them.